Black rice is the bomb. The grains have a natural berry-ish, Cabernet quality that fills the kitchen with their fragrance while cooking.
While a sushi master might frown upon this rice used for traditional sushi, we love the flavor, health benefits and cool factor.
Leftover black rice is simply outstanding for fried rice. Or use it to make Vegan Sushi.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 CupsServings
- 2 cups black rice, picked through for debris
- 4 cups cold water
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
1. Cook rice in 4 cups cold water, over medium heat, partially covered for 20 minutes once water has come to a simmer.
2. Cover and allow to finish cooking off the heat for an additional 20 minutes.
3. Whisk together vinegar, sugar and salt.
4. Turn rice out onto a sheet pan and pour vinegar mixture rice. Turn rice with a spatula or rice paddle, being careful to not break the grains.
5. Fan the rice with a pan to cool, while gently turning rice. Once cooled, transfer to a bowl.