These Flaky Apple Hand Pies are the perfect fall dessert. They are an easy-to-snack-on individual size and great for any gathering.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- About 12 piesServings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons Earth Balance shortening
- ¾ cup soy milk
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and medium diced
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Garnish: powdered sugar
1. Pulse flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Pulse shortening into flour mixture until mix resembles coarse meal.
2. With the motor running, add soy milk all at once.
3. Turn out dough and knead several times. The dough will be sticky. Wrap in parchment and refrigerate for 1 hour.
1. Mix apples, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, cornstarch, and salt in a medium bowl.
1. Turn out dough on a floured work surface. Roll to ¼-inch thick.
2. Cut 6-inch rounds. Spoon 1 tablespoon filling into each round. Fold over and seal.
3. Refrigerate or freeze.
4. Heat oil to 360°F. Fry pies, in batches, until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar.
5. Or brush with beaten egg and bake at 350°F for 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown and puffed up.