Buh-Bye Buffalo and HELLO harissa! These hot wings have all the zip of the classic and then some. Forget what you know about dipping sauce, mayo, and whatever pareve cheese-like add-in, we have a healthy and creamy Tahini Dipping Sauce loaded with flavor and zero substitutions.
Save some time by using a store-bought harissa. Or make your own with our homemade Harissa recipe.
And yes, you can fry in evoo. But there are a couple of things to keep in mind: use only high quality extra virgin olive oil (we like Colavita), keep oil at/under 360°F, and monitor oil temperature as you’re frying (using a deep fry thermometer).
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
Tahini Dipping Sauce:
1. Whisk tahini, lemon juice, sumac, za’atar, and evoo together in a small bowl. Set aside. If too thick thin with water or more lemon juice.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Pat wings dry with paper towels and place on prepared baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast wings in a 400°F oven for 15 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, whisk harissa, tahini, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons evoo together.
5. Pour 2 cups of evoo in a heavy frying pan, fitted with a deep fry thermometer, and place over medium heat. Once evoo reaches 360°F, fry wings, in batches, for 3 minutes, until crispy and brown. If you don’t have a thermometer, place the handle of a wooden spoon in the hot oil. If bubbles form around the spoon, your oil is hot.
6. Toss hot wings in harissa sauce and transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and garnish with scallions and lemon slices. Serve with Tahini Dipping Sauce.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.