The weather is cold and all I want is a nice hot bowl of a soup. The best part is that soups can be a great way to get lots of vegetables and eat low calorie. This soup is a one pot meal, you can put rice in the soup or serve it on the side or leave it out. The greens and the chicken meatballs are really hardy enough on their own.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced, plus 1 minced
- 1 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced, plus 1, minced for meatballs
- 1 small bunch parsley, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large head escarole, cored and cut into 2" pieces
- 8 cup chicken stock
- 2 cup rice, uncooked cook per directions and serve with soup
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix ground chicken, bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, 1/2 of oil, seasoning, minced garlic and onion, parsley, egg, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Form into 30, 1 1/2" meatballs and place on baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until browned.
Heat remaining oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium high heat. Add sliced garlic and onion and cook until lightly brown, about 10 minutes. Add escarole and cook a few minutes, until wilted. Use tongs. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer. Add meatballs, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and extra nutritional yeast if desired.