The following recipe is a lightened-up version of the classic Eggplant Parmesan we all enjoy. I make this all the time as a big batch and then I freeze individual portions so I always have it when I want it.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 1 can Sauce (28-ounce) no-salt-added peeled tomatoes
- 2 can tomato sauce (15-ounce) no-salt-added
- 1 can tomato paste (6-ounce no-salt-added )
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon basil dried
- 1 tablespoon oregano dried
- eggplants, ½ inch slices
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3 cup mozzarella cheese shredded reduced-fat
1. Preheat broiler. In a large saucepan, make sauce by combining tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, tomato paste, white wine, garlic, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and cook 20 minutes. (Don’t forget you can add chia seeds or flaxseed meal to your breadcrumbs, for more fiber!)
2. Meanwhile, salt eggplant slices with enough salt to cover for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
3. In a bowl, mix egg whites and 1/4 cup water together with a fork. Dip eggplant slices in egg white mixture and roll in breadcrumbs. Place on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray and broil 5 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Watch closely. Remove and set aside.
4. Lower the oven temperature to 350F.
5. In a 2-quart oblong baking dish, layer half the sauce, half the eggplant and half the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Bake 30 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Nutritional Info (per serving)
•Calories 293•Fat 8.2g•Saturated Fat 4.6g•Cholesterol 25mg•Sodium 741mg