This eggplant and smoked cheese stuffed cabbage is a savory, meatless alternative to traditional ground-meat stuffed cabbage. Cabbage rolls freeze and reheat perfectly. They can and should be made in advance.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 head of cabbage, leaves separated and parboiled for 5 minutes
Eggplant Cheese Filling
- 2 long purple eggplants
- 3 ounces smoked cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 6 sundried tomatoes
- 1⁄4 tablespoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup white wine
1. Bake eggplants in oven at 380°F for 20 minutes.
2. Discard the peel and place eggplant pulp in the blender.
3. Add smoked cheese, Parmesan, sun-dried tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper to taste. Blend.
4. Stuff eggplant mixture into cabbage leaves and form rolls. Set aside.
5. Pour oil into a pan, add garlic and cook until golden.
6. Add the rolls seam-side down. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
6. Combine wine and garlic. Pour the sauce on top of the cabbage rolls and raise the heat to let it evaporate.
7. Lower the heat again, cover and cook for about 20 more minutes on a medium/low flame (or in the oven at 350° F).
Recipe originally published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Fall 2014