From Joy of Kosher – winning chulent recipe scaled to family size!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup barley
- 1 1/2 cups cholent beans
- 1 pound Cheek Meat (holds up well and doesn’t dry out)
- 1/4 cups Sweet and Sour Duck Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Osem Beef Soup Mix
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Pepper Blend (McCormick spice mix, or substitute similar spices)
1. Spray crockpot insert liberally with cooking spray. In the bottom of the pan, place a layer of 1/2 of the cubed potatoes and onions.
2. Spread the beans and barley next. Add the duck-sauce and then the meat.
3. Season the meat (once inside the pot) with the salt, pepper and beef soup mix.
4. Add the remaining potatoes and onions. Fill to cover with water.
5. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat. You want it to be just barely simmering as Shabbos comes in so that it doesn’t overcook.
Note: We set the cooking time for 8 hours, after which time it should be ready. Usually, though, the cholent slow cooks all night and its eaten after 12-18 hours of cooking.