Like an exotic Sloppy Joe on a delicious focaccia, this Lahmajoun is an unforgettably flavorful dish. Perfect for a starter, delightful for dinner and crave-worthy, Lahmajoun will please the pickiest eaters and excite the foodies in your family.
This recipe uses prepared pizza dough, if you want to make your own here is my go to pizza dough recipe.
If you can't find pomegranate molasses in your market, make your own from Pomegranate juice.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 heaping tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ⅓ cup pomegranate molasses
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ pounds ground beef, lamb, or a combination of both
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 pound of pizza dough
- Garnish: fresh mint leaves, pomegranate arils
1. Lightly coat a large saute pan and place over medium-high heat. Add onions to the pan and saute until dark brown and lightly crispy along the edges.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add garlic, tomato paste, allspice and cumin. Stir for 2 minutes until mixed together and the garlic begins to soften.
3. Add pomegranate molasses, water, and meat. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until meat is cooked through and the mixture is thick. Turn off heat and allow meat to cool.
On the Grill:
1. Preheat grill to medium.
2. Roll dough on a lightly floured countertop to approximately the size of the of an 11- x 17-inch baking sheet. If dough pulls back, let it rest a few minutes before continuing. Transfer dough to baking sheet and take to the grill. Lift dough and stretch it out, then place dough directly on preheated grill.
3. Brush dough with evoo. Once dough has browned on one side, flip dough over and pile meat mixture on top of it. Reduce grill to LOW, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Transfer lahmajoun to a baking sheet. Garnish with fresh mint and pomegranate arils. Slice into squares and serve.
In the Oven:
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly grease an 11- x 17-inch baking sheet with evoo.
2. Roll dough on a lightly floured countertop to approximately the size of your baking sheet. If dough pulls back, let it rest a few minutes before continuing. Transfer dough to baking sheet and place into 450°F oven.
3. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, just until the dough starts to set and no longer is wet. Spoon meat mixture evenly over dough and bake for 10 minutes more, until crust is browned and meat mixture is heated through.
4. Garnish with fresh mint and pomegranate arils. Slice into squares and serve.