Feel free to experiment and use any winter squash or a combination thereof for this delicious soup.
Don’t be intimidated by the curry powder – even non-curry fans love this soup, with its subtle background flavors. Garnishing with frizzled leeks absolutely makes this soup and is worth the extra effort!
- 6-8 ServingsServings
- 2 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 4 leeks, pale green and white parts chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 1/2 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 8 cups)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cup water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat the margarine in a large pot (at least 8-quart) over medium heat. Add chopped onion, leeks and salt. Sauté until softened and onions become translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add curry powder and cook for another minute. Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for about 30 minutes, or until squash is soft. Remove from heat, cool slightly and puree with an immersion blender or transfer to food processor and puree in batches. Season to taste with salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Serve topped with frizzled leeks (recipe to follow).
It is essential that one clean leeks well – they are full of grit and dirt! Once cleaned, dry well prior to frying. See below for cleaning options.
2 medium leeks, cut lengthwise, then crosswise into 2” very thin strips.
Canola or vegetable oil for frying.
Pour about ½” layer of oil in a large frying pan, and heat over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot (you can test this by throwing a chopped leek in the pan – if it sizzles upon contact, the oil is ready), add leeks and fry until golden. Remove with slotted spoon or spatula and drain on paper towels or brown paper.
2 options for cleaning:
• Once split lengthwise, swish and soak in cold water, running your finger down each layer to remove excess dirt OR
• Chop as described above, then soak all chopped leeks in water, swish and agitate and repeat a few times until water is clean.