- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 servings ServingsServings
- 1 (15 to 16 ounce) can:black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/3 cup:chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup:dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup:bottled chunky salsa
- 1 teaspoon:ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon:hot pepper sauce
- 2 hamburger:buns
- Using fork, mash beans in medium bowl. Mix in onion, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons salsa, cumin and hot pepper sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper. Using moistened hands, shape bean mixture into two 3- to 4-inch-diameter patties.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or preheat broiler. Brush barbecue rack with oil. Grill burgers until heated through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Grill cut sides of buns until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Transfer burgers to bottom halves of buns.
- Spoon 1/4 cup salsa over each. Cover with tops of buns. Serves 2. This recipe can be doubled or tripled.
You'll need to use a pareve or dairy grill pan if you plan on passing bowls of real sour cream and shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes to accompany these Southwest-style meatless bean burgers.