Crispy like a roasted potato, creamy and fluffy like mashed--these smashed potatoes are the best of both worlds.
If you’re preparing this as part of our Comfort Food 1-Hour Shabbat Menu, start the potatoes first. They will cook as you’re preparing the Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Ragout and Wilted Broccoli Rabe.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1½ pounds new potatoes
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Place potatoes on prepared pan and toss with 2 tablespoons of evoo, salt, and pepper. Roast at 400°F for 20 minutes.
3. Remove potatoes from oven. With a small glass or bowl, smash each potato until flattened but still holding together.
4. Drizzle 3 tablespoons of evoo over smashed potatoes then sprinkle garlic, rosemary, parsley, and more salt and pepper over potatoes.
5. Return potatoes to the oven and roast for 20 minutes more, until brown and crispy.
6. Remove from oven and serve alongside Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Ragout and Wilted Broccoli Rabe