Chickpea cakes or latkes are perfect as an hors d'oeuvres, latke stand-in, or side. Chickpea flour is a common ingredient in the Mediterranean, India, and especially in the South of France, where it is made into cakes called socca.
Gluten free and delicately flavored, chickpea cakes are your new MUST TRY recipe.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8+ as hors d’oeuvresServings
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Toppings: prepared chutney, diced mango, roasted red peppers
1. Heavily coat a 9- x 9-inch pan with evoo.
2. Heat water, curry powder, chickpea flour, salt, and pepper in a medium saucepan over medium heat to a low boil, whisking constantly.
3. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes, until thickened.
4. Spread batter into the oiled pan in one even layer and cool.
5. Cut cool batter into desired size with a sharp knife or cookie cutter.
6. Fry the cakes in a sauté pan, lightly coated with evoo, until crispy, approximately 4 minutes per side.
7. Season crispy chickpea cakes with salt and pepper. Top with chutney, diced mango, and roasted red peppers