- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 to 6 ServingsServings
- 2 small head garlic, cut in half horizontally
- 4 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 cup cubed day old bread
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ cup regular or light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon plain soy milk
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce, cut into wedges
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup diced red onion
Preheat oven to 400 F. Place garlic and 1 tablespoon olive oil on a large square of foil. Wrap tightly and bake for 45 minutes or until soft. Let cool.
Heat remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet. Add bread and sauté over medium high heat, stirring constantly, for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and set aside.
In a small bowl or jar, combine mayonnaise, soy milk, vinegar and pepper. Squeeze cooled roasted garlic with your hand so the softened cloves come out like a paste. Add to mixture and whisk to combine or shake in a jar with a lid until smooth. Can be made 1 day ahead – if too thick, thin with a few drops of water to reach desired consistency.
To serve, place wedges of lettuce on salad plates. Divide tomatoes, onion and croutons between plates. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.