I have been making this soup for my family for over 20 years. It's really yummy on those cold winter days, or even in the summer, lukewarm. if you don't have leeks, or if they are too expensive, you can use either shallots or yellow onions. I make this soup every Shavuos & during the 9 days as a Dairy soup.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoon butter or margarine more as needed
- 2 whole leeks, sliced or 1 large onion cut up
- 4-6 Yukon Gold or Idaho potatoes peeled & cut into small chunks
- to taste salt & pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoon pareve chicken soup mix Lieber's or any other without MSG
- 6 cup water
- 1 pint cream, half & half or pareve whipping cream
- to taste dried dill
In a large pot, heat over medium heat. Add butter or margarine & melt . Add leeks or onions & sprinkle some salt & some sugar (just a fingerful of each). Stir & cook 5 minutes. Add potatoes. Stir till well coated. f you need to add more butter/margarine, then do it a tablespoon at a time. Lower heat to low/medium. Cover & cook for 10 minutes. Stir & add seasonings & soup mix. Stir & cook 2 minutes. Add water, stir, cover & cook for 15 minutes till just about boiling. Close heat & uncover. Let cook 5 minutes. With an immersion blender (stick blender, puree everything in the pot till smooth. Add cream & stir. When you ladle out the soup, top with dried dill.