When I was expecting my daughter, Aunt Tamara bought me the sweetest little cookbook called Healthy Cooking, part of the Cookshelf Series from Parragon Publishing. It languished on my kitchen shelf for more than a year, until I started writing my book. It was the inspiration for so many of my recipes, including this rich and creamy soup.
- Prep Time
- 8 - 10 servings ServingsServings
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 3 (11-ounce) cans sweet yellow corn Niblets, not drained
- 3 cups whole or skim milk
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- Minced fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
- Place potatoes, onion and corn in a 4-quart stockpot.
- Add milk, nutmeg and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, being careful not to burn milk.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and fully cooked. Keep heat low so that milk doesn't burn.
- Add cream and heat through.
- Ladle into bowls. Garnish each bowl with about 1 teaspoon minced chives, if desired.
Warm bowls are a nice touch for soup and pasta. Warm them in the microwave, in an oven at low heat or by pouring hot water in them and drying just before serving.
Contributed by: Quick & Kosher, JAMIE GELLER