Everybody loves thumbprint cookies and everyone will absolutely love these cranberry filled thumbprint cookies.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 dozenServings
- 1 (12-ounce) bag fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 oranges, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (grated orange rind)
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped, toasted hazelnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup applesauce
1. Combine cranberries, oranges, sugar and spices in medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cranberries burst and mixture is consistency of jam.
2. Remove from heat and stir in orange peel. Set aside to cool.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, hazelnuts, cinnamon, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
3. In another large mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter or margarine on high until light and fluffy. Add egg, egg white and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Add applesauce and beat until blended.
4. Add flour mixture slowly, beating on low speed, until just blended. Cover and chill in refrigerator 1-2 hours.
5. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place on greased baking sheet. Flatten dough balls into 3-inch circles with bottom of glass dipped in sugar.
6. Make wide indentation with thumb on top of each cookie. Place 1 teaspoon filling into each center.
7. Bake for 8-12 minutes until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on wire racks.