A chipotle pepper is a dried, smoked jalapeno pepper. Chipotle peppers date back to the Aztecs in Mexico who would smoke their jalapenos over wood fires to preserve them. This sweet and smoky barbecue sauce is great on grilled chicken. Brush on the meat in the final 15-20 minutes of cooking.
- Prep Time
- 3 cupsServings
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 cup cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chipotle (smoked jalapeno chili) powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1. In a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat, sauté ginger, onions and garlic in olive oil until tender but not browned.
2. Combine remaining ingredients in food processor or blender with ginger-onion-garlic mixture. Process until smooth.
3. Refrigerate until ready to use.