- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 4 c. chicken stock, homemade or canned
- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 pc. (2-inch) fresh gingerroot, peeled and finely grated
- 2 c. couscous
- 1 c. California raisins
- 1 medium zucchini, trimmed and diced 1/4 inch
- 2 medium carrots, trimmed and diced 1/4 inch
- 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 c. toasted, chopped pistachios or pine nuts; for garnish
1 Bring stock to a boil in a large pot and add the oil, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, ginger and couscous. Stir the mixture and lower heat to simmer.
2 Allow to cook until liquid has been absorbed (about 2 minutes) stirring occasionally.
3 Remove the pan from the heat and add the raisins, zucchini, carrots and green onions. Fold gently to combine. Cover pot and let stand for 15 minutes.
4 Meanwhile whisk together the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
5 Drizzle the mixture over the couscous and toss well. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
6 Serve at room temperature; garnish with toasted pine nuts.
Source: Chef Roy Harland and California Raisin Marketing Board