This recipe for Confetti Latkes is packed with veggies like kohlrabi, carrots, and beets, which not only make them colorful, but also enhance their flavor.
Note: If the mixture starts to get soggy, form patties and squeeze out excess moisture before frying.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 24 pattiesServings
- 1 large kohlrabi, peeled and grated (approximately 2 cups)
- 3 medium beets, peeled and grated (approximately 2 cups)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated (approximately 2 cups)
- 1 handful beet greens, shredded (approximately 2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Oil, for frying
Harissa Sour Cream:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
1. Grate the kohlrabi, beets, carrots, and onion in a food processor using the shredding disc.
2. Wash the beet greens to remove dirt and finely shred with a knife. Place the grated veggies and beet greens into a large colander and press down to remove excess moisture.
3. Add to a large bowl and mix in eggs, panko, salt, and pepper.
4. Heat oil in a frying pan and fry until golden and crispy on both sides.
5. Make Harissa Sour Cream: Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine. Serve with confetti latkes.
Recipe originally published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Winter 2014 Subscribe Now