Tzimmes - the classic Jewish side dish that can't be beat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 - 10 ServingsServings
- 9-10 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces (about 1-pound)
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 2-pounds)
- ¼ cup dates
- ½ cup dried pitted prunes
- 1 cup dried apricot
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup orange juice (fresh is best)
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and add sweet potatoes and carrots, cooking until just beginning to get tender (but not yet tender), about 10-15 minutes. Drain well.
2. Add to a large mixing bowl with all remaining ingredients, and mix well with a wooden spoon.The carrots and potatoes should still be a little hard, and mixing shouldn't cause them to fall apart or mush.
3. Cover with foil, and bake approximately 30 minutes, basting midway with pan juices.
4. Uncover foil and broil for 5 minutes.
5. Remove from oven, and serve immediately.
Warmed-over leftovers of this dish are delicious.