This classic pareve Hamentashen dough is an essential recipe for your Purim holiday repertoire.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 24-30 hamentashenServings
- ¾ cup shortening, margarine or oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 to 2¼ cups flour
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together shortening and sugar.
3. Add eggs and vanilla and continue mixing.
4. Add baking powder, salt and about 1½ cups of flour. Slowly add enough flour to the dough until the dough is soft and smooth, but not greasy or sticky - between 2 and 2½ cups.
5. Cut the dough into thirds and roll out one section, about ⅛" thick on a well-floured slab or baking board. Use a cup or a can to cut approximately 3" circles.
6. Fill with a filling of your choice and fold sides up into triangles, leaving the center slightly open.
7. Bake on a silicone baking sheet or a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper in a preheated oven and cook for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown.