The beautiful citrus sections or supremes-in French, look picture perfect on a plate and are easy to cut.
Start with a sharp paring knife and cutting board. Cut off a small section from the top and bottom of the fruit. This will give the fruit stability and keep it from rolling around.
Cut down the rind from top to bottom following the curve of the fruit. The goal is to remove the rind and the pith (white bitter part) but not the fruit. Continue until all of the rind has been cut off.
Hold the fruit in one hand and cut ½ into the fruit at one of the dividing membranes. Cut on the other side of the segment along the membrane. This should release the segment or supreme. Continue until all of segments are cut out. Squeeze the juice into a bowl and discard the membranes.
- Prep Time
- 2 cups assorted citrus Supremes/sections (grapefruit, blood oranges, tangerines, Meyer lemons)
- 2 cups baby spinach or baby arugula or favorite sturdy greens
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced thinly on a mandolin
- 1 star fruit, sliced (optional)
- 1/3 cup toasted pistachios, chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup tangerine juice
- 2 tablespoons best quality honey
- ¾ cup best quality extra virgper olive oil + 1 tablespoon
- salt and pepper
1. Combine citrus, spinach, fennel and star fruit into a bowl.
2. Whisk the pistachios, tangerine juice, honey and olive oil together. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
3. Before serving, toss all of the salad ingredients together in a bowl or arrange on individual plates and drizzle lightly with vinaigrette.