- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- - ServingsServings
- 1/2 cup:water
- 2 cup:sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon:cream of tartar
- 1 cup:light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons:cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons:unsalted butter
- 2 cups:roasted, salted cashew nuts (if using unsalted cashew nuts, add 1/8 teaspoon salt with the sugar)
- 1 teaspoon:baking soda
- Using vegetable oil, generously oil a sheet pan (preferably one with sides), at least 11 by 17 inches.
- In a medium-size heavy saucepan, combine the water, sugar, cream of tartar and corn syrup and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Using a candy thermometer to test it, boil the mixture until it reaches 350 degrees, or is amber-colored.
- Remove from the heat and, working quickly, whisk in the cinnamon.
- Whisk in the butter, cashews, and baking soda.
- Pour the mixture onto the oiled pan and spread it out a bit with a wooden spoon, to about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Don't spread it too thinly.
- Let harden, uncovered, in a cool place, 30 to 45 minutes.
- (To wash the saucepan, soak it overnight.) Using your hands, break the brittle into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.