Keeping the pit in a bowl of guacamole does not keep it from darkening. Keep oxygen from the surface does! So, if you want to make your guacamole several hours ahead of serving, cover the surface with plastic film or parchment paper.
A great tip to check if an avocado is ripe is by pulling out the stem. If the color underneath is green, it is ripe, if it is dark, the avocado is over ripe and likely black inside
Related: Mexican Family Dinners
- Prep Time
- 3 ripe avocados , halved and pitted with flesh scraped into a mixing bowl
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tomatillo, diced small
- 1 tomato, diced small
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 small red onion, diced small and rinsed under cold water*
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1. In a large mixing bowl, mash avocadoes with lime juice and evoo, until a thick puree with some chunks remain.
2. Add tomatillo, tomato, jalapeno, red onion, salt and pepper. Fold to combine.
3. Sprinkle with cilantro and transfer to a serving bowl
*Rinsing onions that will be served raw, takes some of the sting out of them