The ingredients of this famous salad are well chosen and simple. The best tip for making this salad is to chop everything except the beets together. The ingredients really flavor each other and the end result is a mixed textured, smoky, creamy mish-mash.
To roast beets: Preheat oven to 375°F. Drizzle unpeeled beets with evoo and wrap in foil. Roast for about 45 to 50 minutes until a paring knife can easily pierce without resistance.
Time saver tip: Buy vacuum packed cooked beets, such as Gefen's Organic Beets, cooked peeled and ready to eat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 for appetizer and 4 for main lunchServings
- 1 pound smoked white fish, broken into big chunks
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut into gorgeous wedges
- 2 ripe but firm avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 1 large Honeycrisp or other firm and sparkly flavored apple, cored and sliced
- 6 cups mixed sturdy greens, such as arugula, kale, or romaine
- 2 medium red beets, roasted, peeled and diced
- 2 sheets matzo, broken into pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 heaping tablespoons sour cream
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons apple cider or white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1. Pile white fish, eggs, avocados, apple, greens, and matzo on a large cutting board and chop them all together. (YES, you should have bought the large cutting board!) This way the flavors really meld.
1. Shake buttermilk, sour cream, scallions, garlic, vinegar, horseradish, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper in a jar.
2. Store leftover dressing in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
1. This salad looks best on a platter so you can see all the colors. Skip the bowl! Pile diced beets on the bottom of the platter. Put all chopped salad on top of beets.
2. Drizzle buttermilk dressing and scatter pieces of matzo on top of salad.
3. Pass extra dressing when serving.