A sauce made from chocolate and sparkling wine-need we say more?
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 cupsServings
½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise or 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup sugar
1 cup sparkling wine
6 egg yolks
2 ounces finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Place a heatproof glass or metal bowl over a pan of simmering water. Do not allow the bowl to touch the surface of the water.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean (save the pod for another use).
- Place the sugar, vanilla bean seeds, and wine in the bowl. Whisk the mixture until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk constantly until the mixture has tripled in volume and a thermometer reads 140°F.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and add 2 ounces finely chopped bittersweet chocolate.
- Allow the sabayon to sit for a few moments without whisking, just until the chocolate melts. Then, continue whisking until the mixture is completely cooled.
- Transfer the sabayon to a container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate until ready to use.
This wonderful recipe is adapted from Laura Frankel's Jewish Cooking for All Seasons. Serve a spoonful of the sabayon with Espresso Granita.