Because food tastes so much better when you're not thinking about all the dishes you need to clean up after.
These rugelach will take you to chocolate heaven!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
1 egg + 1 more for basting
¼ cup melted butter (or canola oil)
⅓ cup warm milk (or water)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 packet active dry yeast (2¼ teaspoons)
2½ tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1¾ cup flour
3 tablespoons honey
⅓ cup cocoa powder
½ cup butter, softened (or canola oil)
½ cup water
½ cup sugar
- In a bag, add one egg, melted butter, milk, vanilla, yeast, sugar, salt and flour. Squish and knead the bag for 5-10 minutes until the dough is evenly mixed. Kids are especially good at this step.
- Place the bag in a bowl of very warm water for 45 minutes or until dough doubles in size. You can add more warm water if it gets cold.
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Time to make the filling. Mix the honey, cocoa powder and softened butter in a bowl. If the butter is too hard, you can melt it. *If you melt it, stick it in the refrigerator before you spread it on the dough.
- Separate the dough into 3 even balls. Sprinkle with a little bit of flour. Roll out each ball, flipping and stretching until the dough is super thin. Place a plate on the dough and cut around it so you have a circle.
- Spread a layer of filling on the dough. Cut into 8 slices, like a pizza. Separate each slice and roll tightly. *You need to separate the slices so they don’t get covered in chocolate on the outside from the other slices. Place each rugelach on a non-stick baking tray.
- Brush with a beaten egg and bake for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, make the glaze by adding the water to a saucepan on medium heat. Then add the sugar and stir until the sugar melts. Simmer for 1 minute. When the rugelach are done baking, scoop the glaze onto the rugelach while they are still hot. The rugelach soak up the delicious glaze.