You'll be spinning the dreidel extra hard to win some of this Chanukah gelt!
- Prep Time
- about 3 dozen ServingsServings
- 1 stick:unsalted margarine
- 1/2 cup:plus 2 tablespoons packed, light-brown sugar
- 1 large:egg
- 1 cup:unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup:plus 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon:salt
- 1 teaspoon:grated orange zest (optional)
- 1/4 cup:coarse, crystallized sugar, clear or colored, or granulated sugar
- In a bowl of a mixer, mix margarine with the brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and mix until fully incorporated.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and orange zest.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture, continue mixing until combined, scraping down sides of the bowl.
- Scrape dough onto a piece of plastic wrap. Flatten into a disk. Refrigerate at least one hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface to 1/4 inch thick. Use a round cookie cutter or the top of a juice glass and cut out cookies.
- Press each cookie into the crystallized, colored or granulate sugar and place on baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 12 minutes. Cool and wrap in aluminum foil to look like gelt.