These cupcakes are moist and delicious and the frosting can easily be made pareve with pareve cream cheese and margarine or use a vanilla frosting recipe with a bit of coconut milk.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 28-24 ServingsServings
- 3/4 cup blanched almonds
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 cups toasted coconut shredded
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup La Tourangelle Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 (13 1/2 oz.) unsweetened coconut milk, stirred
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 pound (two 8-ounce packages) cream cheese at room temperature
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 pounds powdered sugar, sifted
- ¾ cup shredded coconut...(toast at 350 for 2-4 minutes, watching carefully so as not to burn)
Prepare muffin tin by lightly spraying with cooking spray. Could make between 18 and 24 muffins.
Preheat oven to 350.
In food processor, process almonds and 1/2 cup sugar until finely ground. Add 2 cups toasted shredded coconut. Transfer mixture to medium bowl and whisk in flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In metal bowl, set over pan of barely simmering water, melt chocolate, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
Using electric mixer, beat La Tourangelle Coconut Oil and remaining 1 cup sugar at high speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add melted chocolate and beat at moderate speed until incorporated. Add 1/2 of flour mixture and mix
at low speed until nearly smooth. Add coconut milk and vanilla and mix at low speed until blended. Add remaining flour mixture and mix at low speed until smooth. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling almost to top. Bake until tester inserted in center of 1 cake comes out
clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in pans on racks. Pour remaining shredded coconut into 9-inch-square baking dish. Run small knife around edges of pans and unmold cakes.
Cream together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract. Medium-low speed for about 2 minutes.
Slowly add the powdered sugar while the mixer is on low and mix until smooth.
Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with the toasted coconut.
Image and Recipe Source: La Tourangelle