These pretty little peaked cupcakes couldn’t be easier to make and decorate; they’re sweet and understated, just like a perfectly dressed prep.
- 12 ServingsServings
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, finely chopped.
- ½ cup hot coffee
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2/3 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ recipe (2 cups) Quick Vanilla Buttercream
- Pink sanding sugar, for garnish
1. Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard cupcake pan with cupcake liners. In a small bowl, whisk together the chocolate and coffee until the chocolate is melted. Set aside.
2. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, egg, vegetable oil, buttermilk, and vanilla until combined. Whisk in the
chocolate-coffee mixture until combined. Whisk in the dry mixture until combined.
3. Divide batter equally among the cupcake cups and bake until just set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean,
17 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. Using an offset spatula, cover each cupcake with a generous layer of frosting, using swirling motions to apply it. Sprinkle with the sanding sugar. Arrange on a tray lined with the rock candy crystals and set on
Image Source: From SWEET DESIGNS by Amy Atlas. Copyright (C) 2012 Amy Atlas and The Stonesong Press, LLC. Photography by Johnny Miller. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold. All RIghts Reserved.
Recipe Source: From SWEET DESIGNS by Amy Atlas. Copyright (C) 2012 Amy Atlas and The Stonesong Press, LLC. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold. All Rights Reserved.