These are delicious, easy to make and totally moreish.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 10 ServingsServings
For the dough
- 3 cup Plain Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Yeast
- 1 cup Soy/Almond Milk
For the Custard
- 10g Custard Powder
- 50g Corn Flour/Starch Flour
- 100ml Soy/Almond Milk
- 50g Vegetable oil
- 1 Egg
- 50g Sugar
1. Mix the yeast with the Soy or Almond milk.
2. Add flour and kneed till well combined and soft. Aprox 5 minutes.
3. Leave to rise for 40mins
1. In the meantime, measure all ingredients.
2. Mix oil, sugar, corn flour, custard mix and soy or almond milk in a small pot.
3. Place on a medium heat and stir constantly.
4. When heated through add egg.
5. Continue heating until you get a very thick paste. It should be a consistency that you can roll into a ball.
6. Let it cool and then separate into 10 portions and roll into round discs. Set aside
Making the buns
1. When the dough has risen kneed lightly and roll into a cylinder. Cut into 10 portions.
2. Roll each portion into a ball.
3. Using a rolling pin roll the ball into a flattened disc a 1/4 inch thick.
4. Place a disc of custard in the middle, pinch the edges of the dough together into the center so that when you flip the bun over the top is smooth and the base is pinched.
5. Leave the buns to rest for 10-15 mins, smooth side up.
6. Cut up some parchment paper to place under the buns so they don't stick to the steamer.
7. Steam for 20 minutes and leave to rest in the steamer for 5 minutes.
Serve warm or room temperature.