- 4 ServingsServings
- 4 fresh salmon filets * (5 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup dry white wine (or 1/4 cup each lemon juice and water)
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon orange peel, grated
- 1 teaspoon lime peel, grated
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 5 ounce mixed dark leafy salad greens (about 4 cups loosely packed)
- Fresh dill sprigs or Italian parsley
Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Portion red onion onto salmon filets and press on evenly with back of spoon. Pour wine into 10-inch skillet and heat until bubbling at the edges. Set salmon in wine, return liquid to a gentle boil and cover. Let cook gently without turning for 6 or 7 minutes or until salmon is cooked through and topping is rosy. Chill fish and liquid.
For Orange Citrus Onions: Heat oil in a large skillet, add yellow onions and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until golden. Remove from heat and mix in orange and lime peels and orange juice. Cover and chill.
To serve, portion lettuce onto 4 plates. Top with salmon filets. Lift onions from liquid with slotted spoon or fork and top salmon. Spoon juice from onions over salmon and lettuce. Garnish with dill.
*If salmon filets have skin on them, purchase 4 (6 ounce) filets and pull off skin.
Provided by the National Onion Association