Labane is very popular in Israel, and is often spread on bread with vegetables or just dived into with a spoon. This recipe turns it into a flavorful cold soup.
- Prep Time
- 4-6 ServingsServings
- 1/2 cups of almonds
- 1/2 cup of dates (chopped)
- 2 cups of labane
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 large English cucumber (peeled, deseeded, and diced)
- 1/4 cup mint (diced)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sweet paprika to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and roast your almonds.
- Set them aside and allow them cool.
- Place your cut dates in a bowl of warm water.
- Let your dates stand in the warm water for about twenty minutes or until they are plump.
- In a medium pot, mix together your labane and water.
- Add your cucumbers, mint, salt and pepper.
- Crush your almonds, according to taste.
If you allow them to reach powder like consistency, their presence will be felt in each bite. On the other hand, thick chunks will give you something to chew over.
- Add your dates and mix together.
- Let your soup rest and marinate in the refrigerator before serve.
- Sprinkle each bowl with paprika and serve.