The chocolate in this recipe adds not only a faint sweetness but also an earthy and robust flavor. I love the way the chocolate makes the texture of the chili velvety. My kids like to garnish their chili with additional chopped chocolate and cacao nibs which are the cracked shell of the cacao bean. They add a crunch as well as cocoa butter fragrance. Cacao nibs are found in the baking aisle of most grocery stores and online.
- Prep Time
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 large red onions, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded, toasted and torn into pieces
- 1 chipotle chile
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 (15-ounce) cans tomato puree
- 1 (3-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (32-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes
- 2 cups dried pinto beans or canned
- 2 cups dark brown chicken stock
- 2 cups dark beer such as Guinness or Aventinus
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dark chocolate
1. Brown beef in batches in olive oil over medium heat. Brown the onions until they are caramelized and soft.
2. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes until garlic has softened slightly.
3. Add remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 hours until the beans are tender. Remove the chipotle chile before serving.
Tips: Suggested garnishes: fresh or frozen corn niblets, lime wedges, tortilla chips, fresh flat leaf parsley and fresh cilantro, chopped scallions, chopped jalapeno peppers, chopped red onions, cocoa nibs, chopped chocolate
Contributed by:Laura Frankel