Fragrant, hard spices and green olives are a savory combination. Blanching olives softens the flavor and takes out some of the brininess, but leaves the fruitiness. Garnish this almost one-pot meal with cilantro leaves and sliced lemons.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 - 4 pounds chicken leg-thigh combination pieces
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, medium diced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, peeled and minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups green olives, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Garnish: cilantro leaves, sliced lemons
1. In large deep skillet over medium-high heat, warm evoo.
2. Sprinkle chicken pieces with one-half teaspoon salt and the pepper.
3. Add chicken to skillet, skin-side down, and cook, turning, until well browned, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and remove chicken to a plate.
4. To same skillet, add onion pieces, ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, garlic, bay leaf cumin, paprika, and cayenne.
5. Cook together, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
6. Add remaining teaspoon of salt and stir well. Add chicken stock; raise heat to medium-high and return chicken to pan, skin-side up. Continue cooking at low simmer.
7. While chicken is cooking, prepare olives by covering them with water in a small saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat; drain water and repeat.
8. Add drained olives to chicken cooking on stove. Continue cooking until chicken is done, about 15 minutes total from the time it is returned to the pan.
9. Add lemon juice and stir well. Add cilantro and stir. Serve immediately.
Source: National Chicken Council