- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup brown rice
- salt or sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 Cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 shallots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped California walnuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 In a heavy saucepan bring the water to a boil. Add the rice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt if desired, and stir until the water returns to a boil.
2 Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and has absorbed the liquid, about 45 minutes.
3 Add the cherries, apricots and cinnamon to the cooked hot rice, fluff gently with a fork to combine, then cover and set aside to keep the rice warm.
4 Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 - 4 minutes.
5 Add the garlic, shallots and celery and continue to cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and the chicken is cooked through.
6 Add the walnuts, tarragon, and 1 tablespoon of the chives. Season with salt to taste.
7 Add the rice to the skillet and stir to combine and heat through.
8 Divide the mixture among 4 warm plates and sprinkle with the remaining chives.
Source: California Walnut Board