- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 bone in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 2-pounds)
- 2 tart apples such as pink lady or granny smith, cored & cut into ½-inch thick slices
- 2 ripe but firm pears, cored and cut into ½-inch thick slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ to ¾ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup red grapes
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Heat oil over medium high heat in a 12-inch or larger oven-proof skillet. Add chicken and brown for 8 to 10 minutes per side until nicely golden brown. Remove and set aside.
Preheat oven to 400° F. If there is more than 2 tablespoons of grease in the skillet, drain excess grease. Add apples and pears and sauté for 4 to 6 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Add garlic, salt, cinnamon and mustard powder and sauté 1 minute more. Add chicken thighs back to the pan with ½ cup chicken stock and bring to a boil. Transfer to preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. Add grapes and ¼ cup more chicken stock if liquid has reduced too much and return to the oven for 15 minutes.
Garnish with balsamic vinegar and thyme and serve each chicken thigh with about 1 cup roasted fruit.
Watch me make this recipe with Kathie Lee and Hoda on the Today Show.