- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/4 cup canola oil 60 mL
- 2 large onions, chopped 2
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped 3
- 2 Tbsp grated lemon zest 30 mL
- 2 tsp ground coriander 10 mL
- 2 tsp paprika 10 mL
- 2 tsp ground cumin 10 mL
- 2 tsp ground ginger 10 mL
- 1/4 tsp each cinnamon and cayenne pepper 1 mL
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley 125 mL
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint 60 mL
- 2 lbs chicken pieces 1 kg
- 3 cups chicken broth 750 mL
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut into wedges 2
- 6 carrots, cut into large chunks 6
- 1 (19oz/540mL) can chick peas 1
- 1 (28oz/796mL) can tomatoes 1
- Salt and pepper to taste
1 Heat 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions, reduce heat and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2 Meanwhile measure out all spices and herbs. Transfer onions to large pot. Add spices and herbs to onions in the pot.
3 Meanwhile, in same skillet that was used to saute the onions, heat 2 Tbsp (30 mL) more canola oil over medium high heat.
4 Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to pot with onions and herbs. Add broth to pot.
5 Bring to a boil. Add fennel, carrots, chick peas and tomatoes. Cover pot and reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken is cooked and all vegetables are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
6 Uncover, remove chicken and vegetables with slotted spoon to a serving dish. Keep warm. Boil sauce until reduced, about 10 to 15 minutes.
7 Season with salt and pepper. Return chicken and vegetables to the pot. Heat ingredients through and serve in soup bowls.