Chopped fennel fronds add a unique, flavor to this chicken soup.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 servings ServingsServings
- 1 fennel bulb,:chopped
- 1/2 cup:chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons:olive oil
- 2 cups:hot water
- 4 cups:chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups:carrots, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon:salt (don't over salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon:dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon:dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon:pepper
- 2 cups:cooked chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 cup:uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons:fennel fronds, finely chopped
- In a Dutch oven, saute fennel bulb and onion in oil until fennel is tender.
- Add the water, broth, carrots, thyme, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduced heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in chicken and orzo.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Stir in fennel fronds. Season with salt and pepper. Serves 4.
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled.