A kosher pot pie with amazing versatility using Manischewitz broth and finalist for the 2013 Cook-off.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6-8 ServingsServings
- 1 small BBQ or rotisserie chicken
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 leeks chopped (using only the light green and white parts)
- 2 carrots cut in ½ inch slices
- 2 red potatoes cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup Manischewitz® Potato Starch
- 1 frozen pie crust, thawed
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 cup Manischewitz® Chicken Broth
1. Remove the skin from the chicken and shred the meat into bite side chunks and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add the chopped leeks and cook for 5 minutes or until they are soft.
4. Add in the sliced carrots and season the vegetables with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes or until they have softened.
5. Add in the cubed red potatoes and cook 3 additional minutes.
6. While the vegetables are cooking stir together the broth and the potato starch.
7. Slowly pour the broth mixture into the pot stirring continuously.
8. Continue cooking the “filling” over medium high heat, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
9. Remove from heat and add in the shredded chicken.
10. Pour filling into a 9 inch baking dish.
11. Roll out pie dough and place on top of pie.
12. Brush the dough with the beaten egg yolk and cut a few slits for steam to escape
13. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until pie crust is golden.
Contributed by Allison Hoschander of Woodmere, NY and featured as a Manischewitz Cook-off 2013 finalist.