- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 10 appetizer plates ServingsServings
- 2 1/2 pound chicken leg quarters
- 1 teaspoon Canola oil
- 2 Serrano chili peppers, halved and seeded
- 4 tomatillos, halved and charred under broiler or grilled
- 2 tomatoes, halved and charred under broiler or grilled
- 1 1/2 tablespoon peanuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup canned chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small can pineapple slices, drained and sliced
- 1 tomatillo, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, minced
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tube prepared polenta
- In small saucepan over medium heat, warm canola oil. Add Serrano chili halves and toast gently, about 30 seconds per side.
- Place chiles in bowl and cover with 1 cup boiling water. Allow to sit for 10 minutes or until softened. Drain, reserving soaking water.
- Make mole sauce by placing in bowl of food processor 4 charred tomatillo pieces, charred tomato pieces, peanuts, sesame seeds, garlic, raisins, cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, cloves and chocolate. Add chiles and 3/4 cup soaking water. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Season chicken legs with salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. In large lidded saute pan, warm vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add chicken legs, skin-side-down and cook, turning, until well-browned, about 8 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Transfer tomato and tomatillo mixture to same pan; cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Return chicken to pan, add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer 50 minutes.
- Remove chicken from sauce and cool slightly. Remove chicken meat from bones, chop fine and return meat to sauce. Add sugar. Keep mole warm until needed.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare salsa by combining in medium bowl pineapple, diced tomatillo, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well, cover and chill.
- Slice polenta according to package directions, making approximately 10 one-half inch slices. Warm in 375 degree oven or on hot skillet for 15 minutes.
- To serve, place two polenta slices on each plate. Top with heaping tablespoon of chicken mole and one teaspoon salsa.
National Chicken Council