Here is an awesome recipe that helped me to get my iron deficient daughter to eat livers! It worked for me, I hope it does for you!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 1 kg 2 .2 lbs koshered chicken livers
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 heaped tsp freshly crushed garlic
- 3 tablespoons peri peri oil, click to make your own or use plain oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 x 200 ml (3/4 cup/7 oz) peri peri sauce (I like Ina Paarman but if unavailable use your favourite supermarket brand)
- 1 Tablespoon hot chilli sauce (optional)
- 2 Tablespoon sweet chilli sauce (If unavailable use apricot jam)
- 1 Beef stock cube dissolved in 1 cup boiling water
- 1 chicken stock cube dissolved in 1 cup boiling water
Wash chicken livers well to remove any bits of burnt edges, and separate the two halves to remove the middle vein.
Fry the onions and garlic in the peri-peri oil until lightly browned.
Add the red wine and brown sugar, and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat and leave the onions to simmer in the wine for about 5 minutes.
Add the livers and increase the heat, stirring continuously so that the liversbecome well coated.
Add the peri-peri sauce, the hot and sweet chilli sauces.
Add the beef and chicken stocks and give it a good stire. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for at least 45 minutes, stirring every now and then.
Serve on a bed of rice.