Lemongrass, garlic, lemons, ginger, turmeric, cilantro, cinnamon, are all phytochemical and digestive powerhouses. They've been coveted for centuries for their antioxidant, antiiflammatory, disease fighting and cleansing medicinal properties. And the best part is, that they aren't only healthful, but delicious, as they lend their fragrance, pungency, flavor, color and deliciousness to this comforting, but sophisticated chicken dish. The slow cooker allows the flavors to develop beautifully, and gives you a break from the kitchen, but if you are shorter on time, place everything in a Dutch oven and cook covered in a 375 F oven for about 45 min to 1 hour. I usually double up the recipe and freeze one for the following week.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4-6 ServingsServings
- 1 chicken (3 to 4 pounds, preferably pastured or organic), skinned and cut into eights (bones in)
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part of inner bulb only, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems roughly chopped and leaves, set aside (for garnish)
- 1 large lemon, cut into 6 slices and seeded
- 1 (16-ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 cups dark leafy greens (spinach, kale, Swiss chard, bok choy, etc)
- Cooked rice, to serve (I love serving it with forbidden rice. It's whole grain, delicious and makes for a dramatic, colorful presentation), optional
1. Place chicken pieces in the bowl of a slow cooker. Sprinkle with the ginger, lemongrass, garlic, chopped cilantro stems, and lemon slices.
2. Pour coconut milk on top. Top with turmeric and vinegar and mix all together a bit (it doesn't have to be completely mixed, cooking will do its thing!).
3. Add cinnamon stick and salt, cover and cook in high for 5 hours or in low for up to 8 hours.
4. A few minutes before serving, add in the greens, mix them into the broth a bit, cover and cook for 5 to 10 more minutes.
5. Top with cilantro leaves right before serving. Serve with rice, if you’d like.