This classic French dessert tastes like a cross between pancake and souffle. The classic fruit added to clafouti are pitted cherries, making it a perfect summer dessert. Feel free to sub out the cherries for your favorite seasonal fruit (peaches, blueberries, pears or apples).
The French would serve this with the cherry pits intact as they feel the pits add an almond flavor. Though I love my dentist, I do not want to spend any more time in the chair than necessary and have removed the pits and added almond extract to this classic dish.
Summer Shabbats are long and hot and a simple dessert is what's on deck at my house. I love dishes like this where I can pull it right from the fridge and scoop it into bowls and top with either ice cream or softly whipped cream. No fuss and plenty of seasonal delicious fruit in every bite.
Related: 20 Gluten-Free Desserts
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
1 1/4 pounds sweet cherries (I like to use a mix of sweet and tart cherries)
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup almond flour
Good pinch of sea salt or kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/3 cup heavy cream or half and half
Softened butter, for greasing the baking dish and dotting the top of the dish
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
1. Smear a 2-quart shallow baking dish liberally with butter.
2. Stem and pit cherries. Lay in a single layer in the baking dish.
3. In a standard blender, or using an immersion blender and a bowl, mix eggs, flour, salt, vanilla, lemon zest and almond extracts, ½ cup sugar, and cream together until smooth.
4. Pour batter over cherries and sprinkle fruit and batter with 3 tablespoons of sugar and dot with butter.
5. Bake the clafoutis until the custard is just set; a knife poked in the center should emerge relatively clean, about 45 minutes.
6. Allow to cool and sprinkle with powdered before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream or softly whipped cream.
MAKE IT NON-DAIRY: Substitute almond milk for the heavy cream and extra virgin olive oil for the butter.