Editor's Note: These Cherry Bourbon Hand Pies are so sweet and tart, and easy to make with frozen puff pastry.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Flour, for rolling out the pastry
- 6 cups frozen pitted cherries, thawed and drained
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons Maker’s Mark, or your favorite bourbon
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (1-pound) package puff pastry (2 pastry sheets)
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- 8 teaspoons turbinado sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly flour your work surface.
2. Combine the cherries, sugar, bourbon, cornstarch, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Working with one pastry sheet at a time, roll out to a 12 x 10-inch rect-angle on the lightly floured surface. Using a pizza cutter, cut the pastry into four 6 x 5-inch rectangles.
4. Working with one rectangle at a time, brush the edges lightly with the egg wash and place 3 to 4 table-spoons of the filling on one side. Fold the dough over so the short ends meet, forming a 5 x 3-inch packet. Seal the edges by crimping with a fork, cut 3 small horizontal slits down the middle to vent, and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining pastry sheet and filling.
5. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Brush the pies with the egg wash and sprinkle the turbinado sugar on top.
6. Bake the pies until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely.
Excerpted from JOY of KOSHER Fast, Fresh Family Recipes by Jamie Geller (William Morrow/HarperCollins)
Recipe originally published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Purim 2014 SUBSCRIBE NOW