We just took latkes to a whole new level. You'll never want regular latkes again once you've tried this!
Make it gluten free with potato starch or rice flour instead of flour.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled
3 green onions, chopped + 1 more for garnishing
3 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
4 ounces (110 gram) shredded cheese of your choice, we used mozzarella
Olive oil, for frying
Sour cream for garnishing
1. Grate the peeled sweet potatoes using a hand grater or a grater attachment on a food processor.
2. Place the grated sweet potatoes in a kitchen towel. Squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Sweet potatoes are tough, so use your muscles! The more you squeeze, the crispier the latkes.
3. Add the potatoes to a large bowl along with the green onions, eggs, flour, salt and pepper. Mix.
4. Add oil to a large frying pan, so the oil covers the surface of the pan. Bring to low-medium heat. Sweet potatoes need to be cooked at a lower temperature and for more time than regular potatoes. Once the oil starts to shimmer, place a spoonful of the mixture in the pan. Press it down with the back of the spoon, trying to keep the latke in a circular shape. Place a pinch of shredded cheese on top of the latke. Place another spoonful of the mixture on top and press it down again with the back of the spoon. Cook on each side for 5-7 minutes. *Remember, the oil shouldn’t be too hot. If the latkes are burning after 5 minutes, turn the heat down a little.
5. Place the cooked sweet potato latkes on paper towels to drain the excess oil. Garnish with sour cream and chopped green onion.