Hollowed tomatoes are wonderful filled chopped vegetable and left over rice. Top with cheese and broil.
- Prep Time
- 4 servings ServingsServings
- 4 large firm red tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup cooked rice (any kind)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh, frozen or canned corn kernels
- 2 teaspoon dried basil, oregano or mixed Italian herbs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and scoop out the pulp, taking care to keep the tomatoe's shape (save the pulp for another use, like adding to eggs).
- Drizzle the insides of the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and brown sugar.
- Mix the rice, green pepper, corn, the dried herbs, and half the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Fill the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.
- To prevent the rice from drying out, loosely cover the tomatoes with aluminum foil. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the skin of the tomatoes begin to split. Serve immediately.