I found a package of vegan (pareve) blue cheese and couldn't wait to try it out. The flavor is there and it worked great stuffed in this chicken. (Prep time includes intermediate refridgeration times.)
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 whole boneless chicken breasts, skinned, split into halves and trimmed
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 ounces vegan blue cheese
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups panko
- 1/4 cup oil (for frying)
1. Place chicken breasts, skinned side up, on a sheet of waxed paper or plastic wrap. Cover them with a second sheet of paper or wrap and lightly beat them with a flat (not textured) wooden mallet until flattened to a uniform thinness of less than 1/4 inch. Set aside.
2. Heat a pan with a drizzle of oil and cook the mushrooms until browned and all the water is evaporated. Add salt and mix with the vegan blue cheese. Set aside.
3. Break the egg into a shallow bowl and beat until smooth. Spread the panko on a second shallow bowl. Spread the flour on a dinner plate.
4. Lay the chicken pieces on a flat work surface skinned side down. Lightly spread the inside of each breast with a spoonful of the mushroom mixture. Fold over the small side of the breast, then fold each end up, like an envelope, and finally fold over the large side. Make sure that the filling is completely encased.
5. Roll the chicken first in the flour, shaking off the excess, and dip each breast in the egg, allowing the excess to flow back into the bowl.
6. Lay folded chicken breast in the crumbs and roll it carefully so that it doesn't open up (crumbs should not get inside the folds or they won't stay closed when it cooks). Pat the crumbs into all sides.
7. When the piece is coated, lay it on a clean, dry plate and repeat until all the pieces are breaded. Set aside for at least half an hour to allow the breading to set. (You may make them several hours or even a day ahead up to this point. Cover and refrigerate, but take them out at least half an hour before cooking.)
8. Fill a deep pan with enough oil to come halfway up the sides, at least 2 inches deep and heat over a medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
9. Add the chicken and fry until golden brown, maintaining a temperature of 365°F, about 4-5 minutes.
10. Drain well and serve. Can be reheated just be careful not to let it dry out.