These super-yummy cheese latkes are golden perfection. Try some and you may never go back to potato.
- Prep Time
- 24 latkesServings
- 3 cups farmer's cheese
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Maple syrup
- Sour cherry preserves
- Cinnamon sugar
1. In a large bowl, stir together farmer's cheese, eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt, and flour.
2. Pour 1/2 inch oil into a 10-12 inch frying pan (with sides at least 1 1/2 inches high) over medium-low to medium heat.
3. When oil reaches 300 degrees F, scoop 1/4 cup of cheese mixture from bowl, then gently drop it into hot oil. Press down lightly with a spatula to flatten. Cook 3 or 4 pancakes at a time (do not crowd pan), loosening from bottom as needed, until undersides are golden brown, about 2 minutes.
4. Gently turn and cook until other sides are golden brown, about 1-2 minutes longer.
5. Transfer to paper towels to drain briefly, then keep warm in a 200 degree F oven while you cook remaining pancakes.
6. Serve hot, with maple syrup, sour cherry preserves and/or cinnamon sugar.