- Vegetable oil for frying
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese, low-fat OK
- 2 cups ricotta cheese, low-fat OK
- 1/3 cup sugar, a drop less if used as savory
- 1 cup flour, any flour including Gluten-Free, a little more if necessary
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, or 2 tablespoons light rum or brandy (liquor stores)
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
Pour the oil in a large skillet, coming up about 1/3 inch high, and heat on a high flame.
While the oil heats, mix all batter ingredients in a bowl and combine thoroughly. Add a little flour if necessary to form a malleable and firm batter.
Using 2 soup spoons, drop the batter in the hot oil, taking care not to crowd the skillet (which would cause the temperature to drop: the usual culprit for greasy latkas). Fry about 2 minutes on each side, until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. You will get about 2 dozen total. Serve warm. alone or with plain yogurt, vanilla ice cream, applesauce (homemade would of course be best: My applesauce is delicious and a snap to make!) or maple syrup. I even tried with a little drizzle of Chocolate Syrup, and it was great!